09 February 2013

Notifications from Facebook friends

Facebook get notifications from FriendsAfter enabling users to follow individual posts from friends without commenting, added another option to get notifications from individual friends whenever they post. It can be enabled from a friend’s profile by hovering over the ‘Friends’ button/menu – on the desktop at least, there is no trace of this in the mobile app. The feature seems a bit redundant, given that you can add those connections to ‘Close Friends’ and enable notifications for that list.

On the other hand, I couldn't help but notice that list management has been quietly hidden away from the interface: on the desktop, as you can see in the screenshot, it requires an extra click to open the menu ‘Add to another list…’. It’s even worse in the iOS app, where at some point the option to add friends to lists from their profile has been completely removed. I know this is a very obscure feature for the average Facebook user (everyone I know just relies on the newsfeed to see new updates) but I don’t like to see features I am relying on being hidden away and possibly removed.

1 comment:

michkhoo said...

i will try "get notification", I was questioning about myself what will that feature do, now i know, thanks, maybe thre are some special friends i need to follow closely :)

Post a Comment